Monday, January 24, 2011

Nothing good happens after 8 pm

Friday night I arrived home from work, with kids in tow (they came to work with me as a result of a snow day) at 4:30 pm.

I didn't step foot out of my house until this morning at 7:40 a.m.

Not. A. Foot.


I can't ever remember a time where I have stayed in one place for that many hours consecutively.


B and L have both had colds which had resulted in them being incredibly crabby and reduced to tears over each little incident. And when a brother and sister are 2 years apart....there ARE incidents...especially when they had been together for 2 snow days.

I, too, was close to tears by Friday night and wasn't the least bit upset when everyone, including me, was in bed by 8:30 p.m.

What can I say? We know how to par-tay!


The next day L and B just drifted on and off the couch all day. Early in the afternoon L decided she felt warm and wanted me to take her temperature.

She loves to have her temperature taken.

I indulged and was surprised to find hers hovering right around 102 degrees.

We cancelled our plans for the evening and prepared for another night in, which in this case means that I sent Steven out to pick up pizza. I had, after all, slaved all day playing the wii with the kids, reading a book and, uh, taking a temperature.

How could he expect me to cook supper after all that?

He didn't.

(...and that's why I love him so.)
Since L was still running a fever into Saturday night I decided that I would keep both of the kids home from church, and Sunday school, for good measure. I knew that if I made B go, and kept L home, B would start coughing on demand and claim to be at death's door.

Going to bed at 8:30 p.m. wouldn't even give me enough energy to deal with that.

So that is how I arrived at day 2 of not showering or changing clothes.

Not even a trace of make-up for me.

It really was a new record. One I am not sure I should have wanted to break.

Sunday morning the lack of movement apparently got to me.

I couldn't take it anymore.

I started in the bathroom cleaning out drawers and cabinets. I filled a large trash bag with stuff and set it in the garage for Steven to take out. I warned him about burning said trash because of the possibility that it may/or may not contain flammables in the form of empty aerosol cans.

My money is on the "may".

I then moved to the pantry and took no prisoners there, either. The second garbage bag made its way to the garage.

And from there, I moved to the cabinets above the washer and dryer, emptied them out and then returned to the pantry where upon further inspection I decided that the dust mop and dust pan's hanging "spot" must be moved.....3 inches to the left.

At one point Steven came in and said, "Are you pregnant or just crazy?"

My money is on "just crazy".

At his insistence I sat down on the couch and took in an episode of "America's Funniest Home Videos"....and then we all were in bed, again, by 8:00 p.m.

L and B got up this morning and got ready for school. Minutes before she was to get on the bus she said claimed that the "bug that was in her had moved to her stomach".

I think she thinks she has a literal bug in her.

I asked her if she really felt bad or just didn't want to go to school. She answered me with a cough...on demand.

When B realized this morning that L was still unable to go to school due to her "bug", he was shaken.

I told him that he would be fine at school without her. He thought he would be better at school without her if I bought him a present after work.


He was dressed from head to toe in cowboy gear as today was cowboy day at school. I told him that he was the most handsome cowboy I had ever seen. He told me that he would be "handsomer" if L wasn't sick today.

Sure. I see the logic in that...(?)

I walked him out to the bus, gave him a kiss and reassurance that he would be fine. I loaded L up in the car and took her to my mom's house where she could spend the day with Mi Mi, coughing on demand, being babied and watching soaps.

After being at work a little over an hour, I received a call from B's teacher.

Immediately I thought the "bug" had made its way to B.

Instead she told me that B wanted to tell me something. I listened as his little voice, sounding smaller on the phone, said: "Hello Mama! I was voted best dressed cowboy and I got a trophy and 'remember-y game' (memory game)."

I told him I was so excited for him and then told him I loved him - wanting to hear the sweet little words reciprocated with his little voice.

It took 4 times.


I thought, "can he not hear me?" the first couple of times, and then I realized he was stalling - probably because he was in front of a class full of friends.

And so I did what any good, understanding mother would do...I wore him down.

Finally, the cute little voice said, "I love you, too, mama. Bye."

And that was it- he hung up.

I knew he couldn't look any "handsomer".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...