so sad....

On Monday my sister called me with the sad news.

"Did you hear?" she said.
"Hear what?" I replied.
"The crocodile hunter is dead".

I was so saddened by this. After some soul searching I decided that the "crocodile hunter" brought back feelings to me of a bygone era. When I was a child, Saturday mornings were not necessarily highlighted by cartoons, but rather the "Mutual of Omaha, Wild Kingdom" with Marlin Perkins.

I loved the show, I loved the man. I think that Steve Irwin was the closest thing that this generation had to Marlin Perkins. I was entranced when his show came on and I found that I could still experience the warm fuzzy childhood feelings that a Saturday morning brought with it.

Comments

Becky said…
I had no idea you harbored such strong emotions for this man. Sorry for your lost.
The Sour Kraut said…
I also feel bad about Steve Irwin. I think it's because he had two children. The fact that his wife was on the show is also sad because we kind of knew her too. We saw a show of his awhile back that featured his father who is deceased. At least he died doing what he loved and is with his dad again.
Anonymous said…
I agree with your Marlin Perkins analogy. However if you remember ole Marlin had a guy "Steve" who did all his dangerous stuff.

Crikeys, it is a sad day
The Sour Kraut said…
I am still mourning the passing of Phil Hartman. There are some celebrity deaths that are harder to take than others. I put Steve's right up there with Phil's.

Popular Posts