Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Valentine's Day, Birthdays, buggy horses, dog fights and a new mattress

That pretty much sums up the last five days for me.

I left work on Thursday and ran to Wal-Mart for some last minute items for Miss L's Valentine's Day party. I was the mother in charge of this party thanks to Miss L's kindergarten teacher. (ahem....Marlana). I warned her that I was traveling through uncharted territory and without direction the kids might just end up playing "spin the bottle".

She gave me some ideas and I "googled" party ideas and I came up with a few.

Or five.
Same difference.

Being the overachiever I am, I decided to let the kids rotate stations and do all five. The preparation was a killer. Not because it was hard, but because I second guess myself continuously. (I hear the resounding gasps! I know folks, it is a shocker!) Needless to say, my sanity and who-knows-how-many-dollars later. I was ready. We were going to enjoy a rotation of cookie decorating, conversation heart stacking, valentine holder stitching, picture frame framing and Hershey kiss counting if it killed us.

When I made it home from my Wal-Mart excursion I was beat. As I was ready to head to bed Steven informed me that Daisy had a mishap with my neighbors dogs. My neighbor is also my uncle and his dogs, THREE dogs, ganged up on my little dog. I went outside, still in high heels to check on her. She refused to leave her dog house, so I sent Steven out to retrieve her. He warned me that she was covered in mud, so I started warming up the water in my bath tub.

After almost being bit multiple times Steven put Daisy in a stork like sling and carried her into the house and gently lowered her into the bath. After using the hand shower to rinse her off, it became apparent that unless I was OK with losing a finger or two, or possibly my arm, I would not, under ANY circumstances, shampoo her.

The next day I took her to the vet, hoping to get good news before I jotted off to the aforementioned Valentine's Day affair. They suggested I leave her until they could look at her better. In fact they said if there were any errands I had to do to feel free to do them. So? What do you do?

That's right. Head to Wal-Mart just in case, you forgot something.

Later the vet informed me that Daisy was sedated and they were stitching her up. She could be picked up in the afternoon. Apparently the other dogs did quite a number on her.


I headed to the Valentine party in time to start getting things ready. With help from the teacher and another parent, the set up went pretty well. That was until I realized that I had forgotten the conversation hearts for the, that's right, conversation heart stacking station.

I called my sister and arranged an emergency heart(s) transfer only to then cancel it when I realized another parents had sent some for treats. I quick went to work and unwrapped them and used them. My sister was quick to remind me that this was a Valentine's party for kindergartners. NOT A SECOND JOB!

Other than that it went so smoothly. It was almost scary how flawless it went.

Oh, yeah, unless you consider the glitter and glue not having time to dry, or the kids not having time to completely lace their hearts, or the fact that the kids were left with (roughly) 13 1/2 minutes to eat AND pass out their valentines.

Smooth and flawless.

I think it is safe to say that Miss L's teacher has probably warned the teachers in the other grades that if they had Miss L to NEVER ask me to assist with anything EVER. Under ANY circumstance.


After all the Valentine celebrating that we did on Friday, I was "done" on Saturday. I gave the kids their Valentines from Steven and I and let them have the day to just play. They loved just staying home as did I.

I knew better than to believe that Steven had any romantic ideas in mind for the evening and really didn't care. I am just as bad as he is.

He had a new love in his life he needed to bond with.

Friday as I was running back and forth to the vet and ruining Miss L's teachers day, he was at a horse auction over two hours away.

Since buying a buggy in the fall, we had been using Steven's old horse. And by old, I mean old. Like 27 years. THAT IS OLD. He had recently retired him, feeling bad for making him work so hard at such an old age.

He began having withdrawal very soon there after. Riding his horse drawn buggy (or wagon or whatever-you-want-to-call-it) has become his new hobby. He loves it. And not having a buggy horse to use was causing him great despair.

Friday, his despair ended. He found one. A new love. They are bonding.

"She needs some work" is all he will say about her except that he "loves her". Her name is Big Sexy. I can't compete with that (and won't try.)


Sunday, however, we spent with family. A lot of family. 35 members to be exact. And that wasn't everyone.

It was my Grandma's birthday. Her 90th.

The small house was packed to the gills and filled with love. I know many members of my family sometimes dread these "get togethers". Not because of being with family, but because the house is small, it is at the very least 85 degrees, with kids running everywhere and very noisy.

But I don't mind it. In fact, I enjoy it. It wouldn't be the same if it were anywhere else.

I know that probably all too soon these times will no longer be. I want to soak them up as long as possible.


And finally (yes, finally) my latest, oh so exciting news, is that I am the new owner of a new mattress.

Yes. This is excitement in my household. BIG EXCITEMENT!

Our mattress was old, flat and rolling us both to the center. Lets face it. There are times you just don't want to be rolled into your husband. Another downfall was that I would wake up many mornings with my lower back hurting.

As my luck would have it I also woke after my first night on my new mattress with my shoulders hurting.

What gives?

A good friend told me that she heard that a "good mattress" will make you sore for a while. Seriously? What is "good" about that? Anyone else ever heard such a thing? Is that one of those made up statistics?

As I am sure you will be on the edge of your seat wondering and waiting if it turns out to be a"good" mattress or an "evil" one....I will let you know as soon as I do.


The Sour Kraut said...

You have been busy!

Class parties get easier the more you get under your belt. How nice for the kids to have their mom there in charge of the fun.

I'd like to see pictures of Big Sexy. (Love the name!)

A new mattress IS exciting. I think of ours as fairly new and it's 14 years old. It was the first thing we bought after our honeymoon. Definitely time for a new one.

ExamBo said...

A good mattress will make you hurt for a few days because your body is adjusting to the oh so good support of the new mattress. Ride it out and you will be glad you got a new one!

I would also like to see "Big Sexy" and the buggy. I sure know how Steven loves his hourses. Hey, maybe you guys can take the wagon to the Chuck Wagon Races....