Annie, Eddie, Danny, Auntie

Lately, there seems to have been some confusion surrounding the lyrics to some of Michael's songs.

I generally pride myself on being lyric savvy, but I fell incredibly short this time.

You see, the other day as I was reminiscing, I found myself singing along to "Smooth Criminal".

"Eddie are you OK? Are you OK Eddie?" A couple of times I stopped and thought, IS he saying Eddie? Sometimes it sounds like Annie...but then again, it sounds like Eddie....

****************************

Folks, this is SO not my style. I am usually spot on. Usually. I remember in Jr. High a classmate giving me a list of songs that he needed me to tell him the words to. I mean, come on, I HAD a reputation for Pete's sake.

Of course, now, if I have doubts, I google it. Back then there was no google.

And as you all know, it is "Annie".
*****************************

My mom claims to love music, but knows no lyrics. We (and by 'we' I, of course, mean my sister and I) joke that she always thought that the Elton John song "Tiny Dancer" was sung, "hold me closer Tony Danza"....

She always says "I don't care what it says, I just care about the beat and how it makes me feel."

Yes, of course, THAT is a part of it. But the story..... It is the story that tells so much and can either make - or break - a song.

*****************************

I was doubting my music lyric interpreting skills until I was at work, sharing a Michael moment with Dale, watching the "Smooth Criminal" video and sharing our amazement over his dancing ability....when Dale started singing along...."Annie, do you want me? Do you want me, Annie?"

It was then that I realized it could be worse. (I think.)

Please share! What are lyrics that you have misinterpreted?

Comments

Anonymous said…
My version is Eddy do you want me, do you want me Eddy?

~Sharn Jean
Mama Goose said…
Haha. My sister thought The Go Go's "Our Lips are Sealed" was "Otter's and Seals". We still sing it that way and always have a good laugh.
Smockity Frocks said…
Funny! I was just wondering yesterday whether it was "Eddie" or "Annie".

Not that I have been compulsively watching all MJ's videos over and over... or anything...
Anonymous said…
Blinded by the light, wraped up like a .....?
Sound like a douche you know the roamer in the night.
Now I will have to google it.
Anonymous said…
I once sang "Do the funky lady" instead of "Dude looks like a lady" in front of my boyfriend. I got made fun of and still do for that instance but he married me anyway.

Popular Posts