This weekend we celebrated L's 8th birthday.

8th.

I can't believe it.

I don't want to believe it.

On Friday my sister called to see how I was taking it. 

Truthfully, I was doing well.  I had packed so many things into the day that I hadn't had a spare moment to breathe, much less think.

However, somewhere between taking cupcakes to school, making an appearance as a "mystery reader" in her class and getting lunch and balloons to take back to her at the school, it hit me.

I blame the sale at Walgreens.

You see, I was minding my own business, grabbing a birthday card for my boss while trying to wait until 10:30 for the lunch menu to start at Wendy's. 

(L loves Wendy's!)

In those 5 minutes to kill I noticed that Walgreens had sippy cups with the silicone nipple/spout in an island sale bin.

It was then that my heart repositioned itself in my throat.

My mind immediately went back to 2004 when L was just over a year old. She loved, loved, loved her sippy cups!

It was harder for us to wean her off that particular cup than it was to take away the pacifier (7 months old) or bottle (11 months).

Steven decided to take it away one night while I was gone planning my 10 year High School reunion.   That night he said she laid on the floor in front of the cabinet where it was stored and cried and cried and cried.

Now, almost 7 years later,  I was the one crying over stupid sippy cups and the little girl that loved them so. 

My heart was unprepared for these feelings that come with being a mom and my mind doesn't posess the knowledge or vocabulary to adequately articulate the depth of my emotion.

I think that your children are the clearest, truest window in which to view yourself. 

Through them I have seen my strengths, my weaknesses....and their perfection.

They are EXACTLY what I needed...and still need.  Of course, God knew that.

April 15th. 

L's birthday.....but I was the one given the amazing gift.


"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. "  James 1:17

Comments

Amanda said…
You have such a sweet family. I'm glad L had such a great Birthday. Have another baby then you can do sippy cups all over again!

Popular Posts