Wednesday, March 09, 2011


After arriving home from church on Sunday, Steven declared that the day was going to be "technology free".

Of course, this happened to come in handy since the day was also, apparently, "help your dad do chores day".

The kids didn't mind, especially after Steven outlined everyone's duties and how they were very important.  It didn't hurt that he incorporated the kid's favorite pastimes into the days events.

L started out by saddling up and helping Steven drive the cows to the front of our place so that we could worm the cattle and "band" the bull calves.

(If you don't know what banding is, it is probably safe to say that you don't want to.)

(This girl really loves her horse.)

Steven had decided that it would be easiest to use an "H20 Blaster" to launch the de-wormer and de-licer onto the backs of the cattle. 

(H2O blaster is a fancy word for 'water gun'.)

Steven is nothing if not practical.

When we finished "working" the cows, it was time to pick rocks.  We hooked up our tilt trailer to our Polaris Ranger and headed out into the field and to an area that had been recently cleared.  L, of course, drove.  It was another of her "jobs".

Of course, B's job was important, too. 

We filled up a Wal-Mart sack with cookies and drinks and hooked it over the seat of his go-kart and he followed behind the Ranger.  Although we could have all easily fit into the Polaris, this one small detail of letting him drive made the difference between a reluctant, vs. an enthusiastic, rock picker.

As he climbed in he told his daddy, "Let's fire this thing up!".

Oh yes, he also had the important job of chauffering mommy.

We picked rocks and moved them to an area prone to "war-shing" out.  Although we were indeed working, the kids didn't mind.  They were anxious to perform their next duty and splash in the next mud puddle.

I think Daisy was glad we had finally came out of hibernation.

After we finished our 'rock pickin', we headed to the back of the place to load some wood. 

I was still in the passenger seat of the go-kart and I marveled at how well B handled it.

When he was supposed to brake, he gently applied pressure.

When he were climbing a hill, he knew the right amount of gas to give it.

He chose the best route and stayed on course.

I was amazed at how responsible this 5 year old of mine was, not to mention his outstanding driving skills.

After we arrived at the wood pile the kids rushed to get started.  Although there were smaller pieces that would be easy for the kids to handle, each child headed towards the big pieces hoping to out-do the other.

B was unable to lift the stick of wood completely into the trailer.

He looked at me and said, "Well, at least you got a picture..." 

As we finished loading up, B whispered to me, "Hurry!  Let's beat them!".  I ran with him to the go-kart and jumped in.   We took off in a hurry, back the same way we came.

It became apparent that although we were traveling on the same path, the urgency in which we traveled it had escalated.

As we raced down one hill, towards the wet weather stream that ran at the bottom, I thought to myself  that this passage probably wouldn't go as smoothly as the first.

I. Was. Right.

As we approached the stream our speed did not decrease.  As we hit the water a tidal wave reached up the sides and crashed down on us, drenching us and our clothes. 

Still, we did not slow down.

All I could do was laugh....and be thankful that I hadn't pulled out my camera to capture the moment.  The shoulder strap that was hanging out the pocket of my coat was splattered generously with mud.

Still, I kept laughing.

Seeing B's joy and knowing that L and Steven were experiencing the same as they raced behind us fed my laughter.

That....and knowing that we WERE winning.

We made our way back to the house.....with the majority of the afternoon behind us. 

And it felt good.

No one raced inside.
We had forgotten about the cookies and drinks.

We stood around and watched the chickens.

We talked about recent events.

We laughed about the day.

No one had complained about the work that had needed to be done and that together we had completed.

Maybe that was because together we also felt more complete.

1 comment:

Manda said...

love this day!!;)