Year in review (2 of 2)




In July, before Case's arrival, out of the blue Blake stated "When Case gets here I am going to tell him all about great-pa." My heart hurt a little and yet was happy at the same time about his remark. I smiled and asked what he would tell him. Lakyn spoke up before Blake could and said, "That he was a great man."




I am so thankful that my kids got a chance to know him, and have memories of him.  In fact, we spent a large part of the month creating our own memories....

 Memories of a drive-in movie at the Owens Theatre in Seymour.....

 
and taking Sunday drives.....


and staying all night in the luxury accommodations of the tree house....


and attending the Conway Ice Cream Social....and playing BINGO!

and enjoying a good book on a beautiful night.....


and taking a ride.....


and enjoying the classic taste of Taylor's Dairy Joy in Lebanon....


and putting in a hard day's work with Steven....


and a hard day of play with Mimi at Silver Dollar City....


But when we weren't doing those things, the kids and I were spending a large portion of time thinking about the surprise party we were throwing for their daddy.  He was turning 40, and I had enlisted the help of family and friends to pull it off.


About 50 of his closest friends showed up to celebrate with him.  And he was surprised.  We were able to pull it off and I realized that my 8 and 10 year olds could definitely keep a secret!

***************

At the beginning of August, my friends, Amanda and Stacy, and Lakyn's friend, Lilly, went to see Taylor Swift in Kansas City.

 
 
I think it's safe to say that the girls had a blast.  The little girls did too.  




In August we also celebrated another birthday.  The birth of Case.  He joined us on the 10th and the kids couldn't have been happier or more excited.  Lakyn was in tears earlier in the day because she was afraid she would be back at school before aunt sissy had him.  Little did she know that in a few short hours we would be at the hospital with Case well on  his way.  The kids slept off and on in the waiting room, not wanting to miss his arrival.
 
 
Lakyn kept her ear to the door.....

 

And when he arrived, and they laid their eyes on him, it was love at first sight.


 
Blake said he wasn't as much as a cousin to him, as he was a brother....and his "best friend".


 
 
The kids were disappointed when they had to start school.  They would have rather spent each and every day with their new cousin.
 
Blake, as you would imagine, had a few thoughts regarding school.
 
While having an in depth conversation about returning to school, he told me that he used to be excited about 'his friends, recess and lunch....but now, because of Michelle Obama', he is not excited about lunch.

"Kids are starving!!!" He said, "We need to get kids around the country to sign a petition demanding better lunches".

He also stated that he needs to talk to someone about the toilet paper budget.  He continued by saying...
 
'I guarantee you that the Obama kids get fed good food', as well as the story of how the school toilet paper let him down one day, resulting in 'the worst 15 seconds of his life'.

This kid never fails to make me laugh without even trying to...
 


Another baby also came into our lives in August.  Carl.


And Blake continued to put some "pizazz" in our days....

While fixing supper Blake was wandering through the house playing his slide whistle. (Yes. A slide whistle. Lucky me.) He looked up and spotted Steven outside loading pipe for tomorrow's job. Blake headed out the door with his whistle saying, "I am going to go add some pizazz to daddy's everyday life." (Yes. "Pizazz". Lucky Steven.)


He also told me that he wished he could "find someone to tell him his future...without using that creepy ball."

 That kid makes us laugh...even Lakyn, who generally wants to give him away.

*********

In September, everything, including Case, Carl and my kids sense of humor and insight, continued to grow....



Lakyn was filling out a questionnaire about herself one evening for school. One question was: What is your pet peeve? My ten year olds answer? People who run away from their problems. (I can't even begin to list the things this girl has taught me, or the ways that she has encouraged me. I may be biased, but I am constantly amazed by her no-nonsense, accompanied by common sense, outlook towards life.)...

On a side note, Blake informed me that if I were ever in a rocket ship and needed somewhere to land, not to land on Neptune because it does not have a solid surface. (And in case you find yourself in that situation, after some research in Blake's library, I have found that apparently you should steer clear of Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus as well.)
 
*********
 
Of course, we couldn't miss out on fall festivals....
 

 
One of the best times of the year, according to the kids, is Community Days.  Each year we spend a weekend playing games, eating food.....


and being part of the parade.

 
It really is small town life at its best.
 
***********
 
In October, Blake decided to reach for the stars.  Or at least the major leagues.  The easiest way?  Create your own team.
 
And for those of you that know Blake, you would need no explanation. However, for those of you that don't, I think the cards speak for themselves.  He decided that he needed his own baseball cards...for his own team: Awesomes. (I think ...a trademark is pending, so no one get any ideas about stealing the name!) He was adamant about me making the cards. In true Blake fashion, he needed them immediately and couldn't stop dwelling on them. He grabbed a sharpie and a white t-shirt, purposefully turning it inside out because "the big guys show what brand their shirt is". The number "86" is a nod to his favorite tractor, the International 1486. I think it is obvious that shoes are not a required part of the "Awesomes" uniform.
 

And, although Blake loves to play baseball, during the post season was the first time that he actually started watching baseball.  And I use the term "watching" lightly....

I feel the need to state that no one in our household is a huge sports fan. I enjoy watching sports, and can get into just about any game I watch, but we don't watch games regularly and I know next to nothing about professional sports teams.

 However, Blake had become completely taken with the Cardinals. This is one of his newest obsessions and it had only recently started. (When he loves something he completely 110% becomes consumed with it and it monopolizes most of his thoughts. Yes. Healthy, I know.) I will have to admit that I was somewhat relieved to see him take an interest in something that his peers can relate to. Generally he likes things they aren't interested in, and don't care about.

However, after the first night of the NLCS, I decided that neither Blake or myself could handle him being this "into" a sports team. In fact, once he told me he wanted to throw something through the TV when the Cardinals were losing, and after watching a post-season game, he turned the TV off - and then back on again- which was followed by some pestering from his sister, he then burst into tears and said he just couldn't handle the stress of it all. He went and sat in his room and ate pudding, (I thought he should try yoga), and tried to shake off the stress caused by the Cardinals losing.

I thought I might need the number for a counselor...? Preferably one that isn't a Cards fan, otherwise, they might not see anything wrong with this sort of behavior.
 
**********
 
And then, there were times that I didn't think the kids could be any more perfect.....
 
 
While returning to the car after shopping at Summer Fresh, Lakyn asked, "Did you notice the man in uniform behind you in the checkout line?" I told her that I had noticed a man wearing military gear. She said, "Although I was nervous, ...and I thought he might think I was weird, I went up to him and told him 'Thank you for serving our country'." 

One Saturday in October, while getting ready to go to town, I was listening to music when Blake came and joined me in the bathroom. "Running on Empty" came on and we began to dance in the middle of the bathroom floor. He twirled me a couple of times, but we mostly just swayed in time to the music. At the end he said, "Lean back" as he TRIED to dip his momma and then planted a big kiss on my cheek.

Both times I thought my heart would explode.
 
And speaking of exploding hearts....
 
 
 
**********
 
And of course, what is October without Halloween?
 
 
 
Blake dressed as a truck puller, wearing his daddy's jacket, cap and carrying his trophy from years gone by.  Although simple, Steven said in all actuality, it probably was the most expensive costume around.  Lakyn dressed up as Si off of Duck Dynasty and Case was an adorable airman.
 
************
 
 
Sadly, October ended sadly with us losing Daisy, our beloved dog of 14 years.  

 
.
*************
 
In November, Blake shared his concern regarding the penny....
 
  "The penny's days are numbered."
 
***********
 
Sarah, Jason and I also enjoyed seeing Justin Timberlake in concert.  He most definitely brought sexy back.
 
 
 
Jason didn't do so bad himself....


 
And Case...?  Well, he just kept getting cuter.  And is there anything cuter than a baby that you stick a money hat on and put in a basket?
 
 
The answer is "no".

And Steven and I celebrated our anniversary a little early with Don Williams himself. 


I couldn't be more blessed that he is my husband, and I can honestly say that my kids have the BEST dad ever!

And he's pretty sexy too. 

The end of November was spent getting ready for Christmas....

 
 
And December?  Well, December was spent like most every December.  Christmas programs at school, the nativity at church, pictures with Santa, pictures for Christmas cards....
 

 
 
And spending time with family.  This time of year the realization is especially strong that although we are not perfect, and we all struggle with our own weaknesses and anxieties, the strength that we gain from our family and those that we love is the greatest gift that we could ever give OR receive.
 
Here is hoping that all of our best days in 2013 will be our worst days in 2014.
 
 
Happy New Year!
 





Comments

Anonymous said…
I miss you posting every month of so. Well done.
-Your sis
Anonymous said…
or*

Popular Posts